Wednesday, July 11, 2012

General Convention Day Seven

My walking numbers continue to decline.  Only 6,665 on this day.  Two reasons for that.  Fewer meetings being held so I don't have to walk to them PLUS the weather has gotten much cooler (down into the 80s) so I can take the direct path outdoors rather than the very circuitous path through the gerbil tubes.  It's been really pleasant the last couple days after starting off in the 100+ temperatures.

I've mentioned how tired I've been.  It finally caught up with me.  I woke up at 9:45 AM after sleeping the better part of 11 hours.  Guess I needed the sleep.  At this point the group is being given permission to care for ourselves so my tardiness was met with good humor.

Today was an interesting day.  As GC winds down there are still many resolutions waiting to be dealt with and some of them are important like the budget.  A resolution that would have changed the selection process of the GCOYP was sent back to committee who deleted the section that we disliked (and lots of others agreed it was wrong) and the clean version passed.  The budget was presented and is a much better version than the first one we saw.  For those of us in youth ministry and formation it is a huge improvement.  H-U-G-E.  The vote on that is still to come but everyone seems comfortable with the work done by the committee.  The most inspiring moment was when the new plan for re-organizing our denomination based on the Anglican Communnion's Five Marks of Mission passed unanimously.  Not a single no vote.  The House of Deputies was given permission to applaud and gave the vote a standing ovation.

This was also a hard day in our church.  Resolutions confirming this denomination's belief in equality for LGBT members, including a blessing service for same sex unions, passed.  While seen as a victory by most of our church it was a bitter moment for as much at 25% of the Deputies.  The passage was greeted with respectful silence but I know more than a few theologically conservative Deputies were reduced to tears by the action.  What I have learned over my three trips to GC is that it is filled with passionate, faith filled people who attempt to do their best for God even while disagreeing.  It was a bittersweet moment for many on the "winning" side because we love and respect all our brothers and sisters.  The fact is that we relieved pain for some and created pain for others.  Please pray for all the Deputies and Bishops as they prepare to return home.

Day 8 is our final full day here.  The young people have done a wonderful job and humbled me by their passion and dedication.  They are a joyful, faith filled, glorious hope for our future.  And I will miss them all.  I hop on my plane on Thursday.  It will be good to be home.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your update, Jay. I know it's been intense for everyone involved, and appreciate all your hard work!
    Peace (and good sleep) to you,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete