Monday, February 7, 2011

The Difference between "I Don't Like It" and "It Sucks"

I've been thinking about how often I hear people of all ages announce that something sucks.  When they say that what they mean is that it's without value, it's bad and no one should listen/watch/read/pay attention to it.

The problem is that more often than not they're wrong.  What they're so quick to dismiss is usually just not to their taste.  They don't like it.  For some reason we're less likely to say that, "I don't like that" and that puzzled me a little.  There are lots of things I don't like.  Opera for example.  I've been to an opera performed by quality professional singers.  That was 30 years ago.  I haven't gone back since.  I can recognize the quality of the music (in fact there is some music from operas I kind of like), the quality of the performance by the singers and the orchestra.  But I'd rather do a whole lot of other things rather than sit through another opera.

The problem with making the jump from "I Don't Like It" to "It Sucks" is that it says we've decided that our point of view, our taste in whatever is now the final word on the subject.  That's a rather astoundingly egotistic statement when you think about it.  Now there ARE experts out there in pretty much any subject.  If they want to tell me that something sucks then I guess they have a right. 

But what if I like it anyway?

I hate it when people try and inflict their point of view or taste on me and I bet you do too.  People who think you should only listen to THEIR favorite music and thinks yours is horrible/awful/stupid/cheesy/
whatever.  If they'd like to talk to me about the music or the movies or whatever that's fine.  They might even convince me to change my mind.  Maybe not but at least they'd treat me with a little respect.  In the end, even if we still disagree, at least we know a little more about each other. 

This really comes down to the Golden Rule (the great thing about our faith is that there are really only a couple rules and they're all simple) - Treat people the way you want to be treated.  If you love Taylor Swift and your friend loves screamo death metal then treat their music with the same respect you'd like them to treat Taylor Swift's latest.  They love all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and you hate them?  Love the Buffalo Bills or hate all sports?  Treat them the way you want to be treated.

That means to care for them, respect them and agree to disagree.

Any other way of life just, well, sucks.

Peace
Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment